PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Character Profile: Michael


Character: Michael

Actor: Matt Cohen/Jake Abel

First appearance: The Song That Remains the Same (season 5)

Last appearance: Swan Song (season 5)

Number of episodes: 2

Species: Archangel

Powers: Manipulate memories, Transport angels to Heaven, Altering reality, Teleportation, Telekinesis, Manipulating time, Fast healing, Revive others, Heal others, Kill angels by touch (incinerate them), Super strength, Angelic possession, Invulnerability and Immortality (to a degree) 


Bio:
 
Although we only get to see Michael in 'The Song That Remains The Same' for the first time, we've heard about him a lot of times before.




As early as season 2, Michael was a hot topic. In 'Houses of the Holy' Father Reynolds shares his view on Michael with Sam. He even quotes the Bible to show that although he believes them to be more loving than wrathful, they are still God's warriors.  

"An angel of the Lord appeared to them, the glory of the Lord shone down upon them, and they were terrified."



In 'Sympathy For The Devil' Zachariah informs Dean of his true calling. He's Michael's true vessel and Zachariah tries to get a 'yes' out of Dean by breaking Sam's legs. He also offers to heal Bobby or cure Dean from stomach cancer. Still Dean refuses.

Michael is mentioned occasionally from then on, but it's not until 'The Song That Remains The Same' that we finally can put a face to the name. Michael gets young John Winchester's consent to use him as an angel condom, and he saves the Winchesters from Anna, who he incinerates,  and Uriel, who he sends away with the single snap of his fingers.


The talk that ensues between Dean and Michael finally shows us Michael's side of the story. But it's not enough to convince Dean to give up his freedom and become Michael's puppet.
During this episode, Michael also heals Sam and sends the brothers home to their own time. To make his power-display complete he promises to scrub the minds of Mommy and Daddy Winchester. 

DEAN: How'd you get in my dad, anyway?
MICHAEL: I told him I could save his wife, and he said yes.
DEAN: I guess they oversold me being your one and only vessel.
MICHAEL: You're my true vessel but not my only one.
DEAN: What is that supposed to mean?
MICHAEL: It's a bloodline.
DEAN: A bloodline?
MICHAEL: Stretching back to Cain and Abel. It's in your blood, your father's blood, your family's blood.
DEAN: Awesome. Six degrees of Heaven Bacon. What do you want with me?
MICHAEL: You really don't know the answer to that?
DEAN: Well, you know I ain't gonna say yes, so why are you here? What do you want with me?!
MICHAEL: I just want you to understand what you and I have to do. 



By the time we get to 'Point Of No Return', Dean's resistance has grown thin and he's five seconds from accepting Michael in. A promise to Sam though, keeps him from agreeing, although he does say the words to Zachariah to save his brothers. Zachariah calls Michael down, but before the archangel touches down, Dean kills Zachariah and tries to make a run for it with both brothers.

However, Adam is too late to get out of the room and we see as the entire room heats up (from the heat on the doorknob when Dean tries to open it) and blinding light shines into the entire space. When Dean finally manages to open the door, Adam's gone. Later Castiel informs Dean that Michael has taken Adam as his vessel.


We finally see Michael again in 'Swan Song' while he's having a pre-battle conversation with Lucifer. Getting ready to finally fight and get a move on with the Apocalypse, they get interrupted by Dean.

LUCIFER: It's good to see you, michael.
MICHAEL: You too. It's been too long. Can you believe it's finally here?
LUCIFER: No. Not really.
MICHAEL: Are you ready?
LUCIFER: As I'll ever be. A part of me wishes we didn't have to do this.
MICHAEL: Yeah. Me too.
LUCIFER: Then why are we?
MICHAEL: Oh, you know why! I have no choice, after what you did.
LUCIFER: What I did? What if it's not my fault?
MICHAEL: What is that supposed to mean?
LUCIFER: Think about it. Dad made everything. Which means he made me who I am! God wanted the devil.
MICHAEL: So?
LUCIFER: So why? And why make us fight? I just can't figure out the point.
MICHAEL: What's your point?
LUCIFER: We're going to kill each other. And for what? One of dad's tests. And we don't even know the answer. We're brothers. Let's just walk off the chessboard.
MICHAEL: I'm sorry. I-I can't do that. I'm a good son, and I have my orders.
LUCIFER: But you don't have to follow them.
MICHAEL: What, you think I'm gonna rebel? Now? I'm not like you.
LUCIFER: Please, michael --
MICHAEL: You know, you haven't changed a bit, little brother. Always blaming everybody but yourself. We were together. We were happy. But you betrayed me -- all of us -- And you made our father leave.
LUCIFER: No one makes dad do anything. He is doing this to us.
MICHAEL: You're a monster, Lucifer. And I have to kill you.
LUCIFER: If that's the way it's got to be... Then I'd like to see you try.

- cue 'Rock of Ages'

Michael and Lucifer are outraged by Dean's desperate attempt to put a stop to the Apocalypse, and their greetings aren't very welcoming. With statements as "Even for you, This is a whole new mountain of stupid." and "You little maggot. You are no longer a part of this story", it's pretty obvious that Dean's treading dangerous grounds.

That's when Castiel appears and with a new petname for Michael, he clears the path for Dean to talk to Lucifer (Sam) by burning Michael with Holy Fire.
"Hey, ass-butt"

Michael reappears just when Sam, who has regained control of his own body and mind, is leaning back to throw himself in the pit. Michael doesn't want it to end that way and attempts to pull Sam away from the abyss, but takes the dive with Sam instead.

Michael is still locked in the cage with Lucifer, but something tells me that this will not be the last we heard of him. Here's a little video in honor of Michael. Enjoy!





That was all!! Hope you enjoyed it!

Shirley Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment