PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Episode Review: No Rest For The Wicked


Dean runs through the forest, breathing heavily, and stops abruptly, blocked and faced by an unseen creature – One of Lilith’s hellhounds.
After Sam dies in the finale of season two (stabbed by Jake in “All Hell Breaks Loose Pt. 1”), Dean, in a desperate act, makes a deal with a crossroads Demon in “All Hell Breaks Loose Pt. 2” in order to bring Sam back to life.
“No Rest For The Wicked” brings us to the end of Dean’s last year to live. With only 30 hours left, Bobby and Sam cut it close but find a way to track down Lilith with the intention of killing her to free Dean from his side of the deal since they found out that Lilith holds the contract to his soul.
Personally, this is one of my favourite episodes; The fact that I have a girl crush on Katie Cassidy totally doesn’t make me biased, either. Although her kick ass part in this does contribute to my judgment, I love this episode for many other reasons.
We all adore Dean, right? (Those of you who don’t seriously need to get a pair of specs and examine that beautiful man. Slowly and Carefully.) The first part of this triggered mixed opinions from yours truly. I went back and forth like a ping-pong ball; Team Dean, Team Sam, Team Dean, Team Sam.
After Bobby gives them the information they need to track down Lilith, Dean makes valid points that made me go “Good call, Dean.” Because let’s be honest. No one likes to see the Winchesters die.
Bobby: New Harmony, Indiana. And we have a winner.
Sam: Alright, let’s go.
Dean: Wait, woah, woah. Hold on. Hold shit up there, tex.
Sam: What’s the problem?
Dean: What’s the problem? Come on, where do I begin? I mean, first of all, we don’t even know if Lilith actually holds my deal, we’re going off of Bela’s intel? When that bitch breathes, the air comes out crooked. ‘Kay? Second, even if we could get to Lilith, we have no way to gank her and third. Isn’t this the same Lilith that wants your giant head on a pipe? Should I continue?
Bobby: Ain’t you just bringing down the room…
Dean: Well, it’s a gift.
Sam: I’m sorry, so then what are we supposed to do?
Dean: Look, just ‘cause I gotta die, doesn’t mean you have to, okay? Either we go in smart or we don’t go in at all!
Though the hallelujah chorus was on repeat in my brain due to Dean’s heroic mini speech, I was still sitting here, thinking yeah.. I’d rather you didn’t die, too… Then Sammy comes in with the winning suggestion that had me jumping on the Team Sammy boat.
Sam: Okay, fine. If that’s the case, I have the answer.
Dean: You do?
Sam: Yeah, a surefire way to confirm it’s Lilith and a way to get us a bonufied demon-killing ginsu.
Dean: Damn it Sam, no.
Sam: We are so past arguing. Dean, I am summoning Ruby.
Dean: The hell you are!
I. Love. Ruby. But that’s not what made me say “Damn it, Dean!” in my head, in Bobby’s voice. I mean, how stubborn?! You’re dying, dude. Go with it. Besides, Ruby’s done nothing but help you… This Season. I danced when, as expected, Sam rebelled and summoned the chick, anyway. ‘Cos it’s and she appears with an awesome greeting. “You know, phones work, too. Hey, Sam.”
So Sam argues with Ruby, right. Give me the knife. No! Dammit, gimme! No! That’s basically how it happened… Ruby also reveals that Lilith’s on shore leave. I love Lilith. SHE’S SO CUTE AS A TINY CHILD.

Also, is it just me who wanted Sam and Rubes to angrily make out after half shouting at each other? Yes. Possibly so. I’m troubled, I know, don’t judge me. Uhh… ANYWAY. So, what do you expect to happen? Bingo! Dean catches them.
Dean: So that’s you, huh? Our slutty little yoda.
Ruby: Dean. Charming as ever.
Dean: Oh, I knew you’d show up.
A little Dean and Ruby banter.. We all love us some snarky, sarcastic commentary. Dean, challenging Ruby, asks why she wants Lilith dead. Ruby claims that she’s told him why. Why is that the case, again, Dean? Why don’t you tell us…
Dean: Oh, right, yeah. Because you were human once. And liked kittens. And long walks on the beach.
Ruby: You know what, I am so sick of proving myself to you. You wanna save yourself, then this is how, you dumb, spineless dick.
DEAN PUNCHED A GIRL. WHUTTTT? Yeah, totally awesome. Ruby kicks the Winchesters’ asses, man. She even booted Sasquatch Sammy, sending him flying. Demon skills for the win. Totally. But then it goes pear shaped. See, Dean’s got brains. Seeing as he expected Ruby’s arrival, he built a Devil’s trap. And that’s where pretty little Rubes got stuck. He totally got the knife while having this little bitch fight with her, too. Now, while some of you are applauding Dean, I’m sitting here like NO. I want Ruby in for the rest of this episode! Maybe it’s the girl crush talking but seriously. I wasn’t impressed.
Ruby: Wait. You’re just gonna leave me here?
Dean: Let’s go, Sam.
Ruby: Oh, oh so you’re just too stupid to live. Is that it? Then fine. You deserve hell. I wish I could be there, Dean. I wish I could smell the flesh, sizzle off your bones. I wish I could be there to hear you scream!
Dean: And I wish you’d shut your pie hole, but we don’t always get what we want.
So we’re back in Bobby’s place where the two are getting their arsenal ready so they can gank Lilith. While doing so, Sam argues with Dean, saying that Ruby had a point and that maybe they should go along with this “surefire way” of killing Lilith that Ruby claims to know. You know how that goes, Dean says no…
Dean: Why even risk it?
Sam: Because you’re my brother. Because you did the same thing for me.
Dean: I know. And look how that turned out. All I’m saying… Sammy, all I’m saying is that you’re my weak spot. You are. And I’m yours.
God, I love it when they get all cute. You just wanna cuddle them and smooch their cute little pretty cheeks! Dean goes on to voice this deep, heart felt speech, explaining that they should go down swinging and fight Lilith the way John taught them to.
Dean: What do you think?
Sam: I think you totally should’ve been jamming Eye of the Tiger back there.
Dean: Oh, bite me. I totally rehearsed that speech, too.
HAHA. So epic. So guys, what does a HBIC Demon do on shore leave? Control a family and kill Freckles if he’s mean to them, that’s what! Like she did that mean what’s-her-name nanny.

Dean’s not the only one with brains. Bobby, knowing what the two are like hijacked the Imapala’s engine so Dean and Sam can’t make a quick escape like they planned to.
Bobby: Where’d’you think you’re going?
Dean: We got the knife.
Bobby: And you were intending to use it without me. Do I look like a ditchable prom date to you?
No, Bobby. No you don’t. After a little persuasion, Bobby ends up following them as they travel to Lilith. Attempting a cutesy bro-talk, Dean stops Sam halfway through. “I do not want it to be socially awkward.” Damn. I love it when they get mushy. At least there’s something Dean wants.
Sam: Bon Jovi?
Dean: Bon Jovi rocks. On occasion.
Click here if you want to watch these beautiful men sing along to "Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi.
With a busted tail light, they get pulled over by a cop. Wait, what’s that? It’s not a cop? Well fuck a duck. Or rather, shank a demon with a demon killing ginsu. Yeah, suckahs. Bad ass mofo. That’s what Dean is. But how did he know it was a Demon? Mysterious…
Sam: So what, now you’re seeing demons?
Dean: I’ve been seeing all kinds of things lately. Nothing like this.
Bobby: Actually, it’s not all that crazy.
Dean: How is it not that crazy?
Bobby: Well you got just over 5 hours to go. You’re piercing the veil, Dean. Glimpsing the B-Side.
Dean: Little less new agey, please.
Bobby: You’re almost hell’s bitch. So, you can see hell’s other bitches.
Dean [Giving Bobby a sarcastic smile]: Thank you.
Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Lilith, Happy Birthday to you! … Again.
Lilith: Yay, it’s my birthday every day!
Dean’s demon seeing skills are proving useful and he points out all the demons in the tiny town. It’s like the A-Team, guys. Dean and Sam killing demons off one by one, Bobby off making holy water using the main water pipe (yeah, I know. Bad ass.). It’s awesome! But guess what?! GUESS WHAT.
Ruby: I’d like my knife back, please. Or your neck snaps like a chicken bone.
Sam: He doesn’t have it. Take it easy.
Dean: How the hell did you get out?
Ruby: What you don’t know about me could fill a book.
I could’ve danced when Ruby appeared, pinning Dean against the metal fence. But I totally didn’t… You know me… Kept my cool…
Dean: Ugh…
Ruby: What?
Dean: Nothing, I—uh, I just couldn’t see you before but you are one ugly broad.
Shh, Dean. Shhh! What’s under isn’t important when demons are concerned. Just bask it the hotness of her meat suit. Sheesh. Picky people these days, huh?
Ruby: Sam? Give me the knife before you hurt yourself.
Sam: You’ll get it when this is over.
Ruby: It’s already over. I gave you a way to save Dean. You shot me down. Now it’s too late. He’s dead. And I’m not gonna let you die, too.
Sam: Try and stop me. I’ll kill you, bitch.
Ruby: Hit me with your best shot, baby.
Hey, guys… Hot as this arguing is umm… Demon’s are on your ass. Run! Oh wait—It’s okay! Bobby blessed the sprinklers. Burn baby, burn. So in the house all three look for Lilith. It’s not the girl anymore?! I knew everything would go wrong at some point…
Sam: Okay, you win. What do I have to do?
Ruby: What do you mean?
Sam: To save Dean. What do you need me to do?
Dean: What the hell do you think you’re doing?
Sam: Just shut up for a sec. Ruby!
Ruby: You had your chance. You can’t just flip a switch. We needed time.
Sam: Well, there’s gotta be something, there’s gotta be some way. Whatever it is, I’ll do it.
[Dean tries to stop Sam]
Sam: Don’t, Dean! I’m not gonna let you go to hell. Dean.
Dean: Yes you are! Yes you are. I’m sorry. I mean, this is all my fault. I know that. But what you’re doing isn’t gonna save me. It’s only gonna kill you.
Sam: Then what am I supposed to do?
Dean: Keep fighting. Take care of my wheels. Sam, remember what dad taught you, okay? And remember what I taught you.
Oh no. Midnight strikes, Dean’s half crying and I’m fully crying. So is Sam.

“I’m sorry, Dean. I wouldn’t wish this upon my worst enemy.” See? Love blonde Ruby, guys. Love blonde Ruby! Dogs barking and snarling, yeah. Make a run for it, lock yourselves in a room and put witchy dust an ex-witchy demon gives you at every doorway and window. Those, friends, are tips on how to survive a hell hound attack. Oh, yeah… One more thing. Don’t lock the demon who’s after your ass in with you. It’s not very clever.
Ruby: Give me the knife. Maybe I can fight it off.
Sam: What?
Ruby: Come on! That dust won’t last forever.
Dean: WAIT.
Ruby: Do you wanna die?
Dean: Sam, that’s not Ruby. That’s not Ruby!
Seriously?! I thought the whole they-can’t-find-Lilith thing was the worst of it. But no, Supernatural never fails to surprise us! A fling here and there and ding, ding, ding! We have some helpless, struggling Winchesters.
Dean: How long’ve you been in her?
Lilith [in Ruby’s body]: Not long. But I like it. It’s all grown up and pretty.
Even Lilith knows she's pretty!
Sam: Where’s Ruby?
Lilith: She was a very bad girl. So I sent her far, far away…
Dean: I should’ve seen it before. But you all look alike to me.
After she discovers that Sam has soft lips, Sam tries to bargain with her. But apparently, he’s got nothing she wants. WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO GO SO WRONG. And why is this show so good?! Despite knowing that Dean’s about to die, and despite basically crying because he’s going to die, this last scene contains on of my favourite Supernatural lines.
Lilith/Ruby: Sic him, boy.
Sam, crying, watches as Dean gets mauled by the hell hound and while protesting, Lilith tries to kill him. But does it work?

No. Duh. Two Winchesters dead at once? No way. Pretty sure fangirls would’ve caused a riot big enough to start World War Three. So Sam steps up to Lilith, knife at hand, and the bitch escapes. These people aren’t quick enough. Crying, he walks up to a dead Dean and looking through Dean’s eyes, we, not Sam, see a glimpse of hell. Dean chained up, hooks through his skin, shouting “Sam! Sam!”…
Thumpa, out! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment