PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Episode Review: On The Head Of A Pin


We’re thrown into a busy scene straight away; Dark car park, cars turned over, all over the place, and the lights and sirens of said cars going crazy. That’s right, kids. Angel episode! And this is why it’s one of my favourites.


Walking through the car park is Castiel, obviously distraught as he looks around and he holds his hand out, silencing the cars. Continuing to stride through the darkness, he finds a lady on the ground, stabbed through the neck.
Castiel: Goodbye, Sister.
WHAT?! DEAD ANGEL? It can’t be…
Disappearing once police sirens are heard, we are left with a Cas-less parking lot with police men scouring the area. As they find the body, lights are shined on it and yes, it can be. Burned out angel wings on either side of the dead lady. You got it, buddies. This is the episode where we find out how to kill an angel.
We see Dean and Sam driving back from Pam’s funeral after she dies in “Death Takes a Holiday.” Stepping into the motel, tired and distressed, you think someone would let these two have a day off, right? No, not right. Guess who’s there?

Oh hai, Castiel and Uriel! But not cool, they’ve got a job for Dean. Revealing that seven angels have been murdered, Sam and Dean mull over ideas of who could do it and obviously, their first guess is a demon. But here’s the best part.
Dean: Demons? How’re they doing it?
Uriel: We don’t know.
Sam: I’m sorry, but what do you want –us- to do about it? I mean the demon who has the juice to ice an angel has to be out of our league, right?
Uriel: We can handle the demons, thank you very much.
Castiel: Once we find who it is.
Dean: So, you need our help hunting a demon?
Castiel: Not quite. We have Alistair.
Dean: Great, he should be able to name your trigger man.
Castiel: But he won’t talk. Alistair’s will is very strong. We have arrived at an impasse.
Dean: Yeah, well, he’s like a black belt in torture. I mean, you guys are out of your league.
Uriel: That’s why we’ve come to his student. You happen to be the most qualified interrogator we’ve got.
Castiel: Dean. You are our best hope.
Dean: No. No way. You can’t ask me to do this, Cas. Not this.
Uriel: Who said anything about asking?
Now, don’t judge me… But when they said that Dean has no choice in the matter, I died a little bit inside. What? Torture can be hot…
But, bastards! They angel whisked Dean away, leaving Sam in the motel room, shouting “Damn it!”
Castiel: This devil’s trap is all Enochian. He’s bound completely.
“Fascinating” is Dean’s reply to that, so, he heads for the door after seeing Alistair, telling both angels that he’s going back, only to be stopped by Uriel. Despite saying that he can’t do it, Castiel insists that it’s necessary and with that, Dean asks to talk to Cas alone.
Before the serious business, I want to share this beautiful quote with you first, which is how Dean and Castiel’s private conversation begins.
Dean: ‘F You guys don’t walk enough, you’re gonna get flabby.
[Castiel looks at him curiously]
Dean: Hey, you know, I’m starting to think chuckles has a better sense of humour that you do.
Castiel: Uriel’s the funniest angel in the garrison. Ask anyone.
I find that so funny. Maybe because Castiel said it with so seriously. With a face that’s just as serious. But back to the heartfelt convo…
Dean: What’s going on, Cas? Since when does Uriel put a leash on you?
Castiel: My superiors have began to question my sympathies.
Dean: Sympathies?
Castiel: I was getting too close to the humans in my charge. You. They feel I’ve begun to express emotions – doorways to doubt. This can impair my judgement.
Dean: Well tell Uriel, or whoever, that you do not want me doing this. Trust me.
Castiel: Want it, no. But I’ve been told we need it.
Dean: You ask me to open that door and walk through it, you will not like who walks back out.
Castiel: For what it’s worth, I would give anything not to have you do this.
That right there is why we love Castiel with all our fangirling hearts. With no choice, Dean walks into the room Alistair’s in, pushing in a trolley full of, you guessed it, hardcore, demon torturing devices. Damn, it’s awesome. Again, don’t judge me.

Seeing Dean, Alistair smirks, as much as he can, saying “I’m in heaven.” Then, he continues, this time singing “And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak… I seem to find the happiness I seek when we’re out together, dancing, cheek to cheek.” I had to laugh. It was really funny. And Alistair, seeing Dean with his arsenal of weapons lets out a laugh of his own, saying “Are they serious? They sent you to torture me?”
All this time, Dean’s throwing him really attractively dark death glares.
Dean: You got one chance. One. Tell me who’s killing the angels. I want a name.
Alistair: You think I’ll see all your scary toys and spill my guts?
Dean: Oh, you’ll spill your guts one way or another. I just didn’t wanna ruin my shoes.
When Alistair doesn’t balk after Dean gives him the chance to, he starts taunting Dean, challenging him to give it his best shot, speaking about how Dean must want revenge after all the things he did to him. Staying calm on the outside, simply eying his toys, Alistair decides that the oh so calm Dean needs more taunting.
Alistair: How ‘bout for all the things I did to your Daddy?
Oh no he di’int! Oh yes. Yes he did. I love how even when chained up and unable to escape, Alistair still has the guts to be a mouthy little mofo. That’s a real demon right there, kids.
So, we return to Shian where we see Ruby walking into Sam and Dean’s motel. Why? Due to her abilities when witchcraft is concerned, Sam asks Ruby for help to find Dean, saying that he needs to find him since Dean can’t do it, even if he had to, because ever since he came back from hell, he’s not been the tough guy we all know.
Back in the torture room, we have Alistair, still taunting Dean, talking about how John, even after 100 years never gave in and Dean “broke in 30.” Seeing the holy water Dean’s pouring, he says that Dean’s gonna have to do better to impress him and Dean, bad ass Dean, gets a syringe out and fills it with holy water, explaining to Alistair how even in hell, he could dream, and he’s been dreaming of this moment for his whole life and thus, has a few ideas on how to torture the hell out of Alistair. No punintended.
Dean: Let’s get started.

Hearing Alistair’s screams, we’re shown Cas, leaning against the table, looking sad as he looks towards the torture room. Awwh. Poor Cas.
A syringe full of holy water later and we see Alistair straining. Go, Dean, go! [cheers for hot, torturous Dean, ignoring all your judgy expressions]
Back in the motel, Ruby’s got candles laid out and casts a spell to find Dean. Bursting into flames, rather dramatically, the map burns away, only leaving the area where Dean is to be found.

Once pinpointed, Sam asks for more blood from Ruby since it’s been weeks since he’s last had any. Oi, blood junkie… And Ruby being you know… Ruby, gives Sam what he wants. Not it that way, gutter minded freaks. Although, with the way she straddles him, they probably did get it on afterwards… ANYWAY.
In the torture room, Dean gets creative. Again, not in that way. HAHA. How’s he torturing Alistair now, you ask? By stabbing him with a demon ganking ginsu. Hold on, hold on… There’s more. A demon ganking ginsu dipped in holy water. Then he carved Alistair up. Slowly…
Meanwhile, guess who turns up outside? Hey, Anna! Nice seeing your pretty hair again.
Castiel: You shouldn’t be here. We still have orders to kill you.
NO, CAS! …
Anna: Somehow, I don’t think you’ll try.
Bad. Ass. I don’t care if you hate on me, I love Anna! She’s awesome. Plus, if you don’t like her, you’re probably just jealous of the fact that she slept with Dean. In the back of the Impala. Bwahaha. I’m jealous. But c’est la vie, chèries.
Anna: Why are you letting Dean do this?
Castiel: he’s doing God’s work.
Anna: Torturing? That’s God’s work? Stop him, Cas. Please. Before you ruin the one real weapon you have.
Castiel: Who are we to question God?
Anna: Unless this isn’t his will.
During Castiel and Anna’s conversation in which Anna tries to open Castiel’s eyes to what she thinks is the truth, and tries to convince him to join her in her rebellion, Dean continues the hardcore torture: throwing holy water onto Alistair’s face, funneling salt directly into his mouth, etc. While preparing a knife dipped in holy water and salt, Alistair reveals that Dean giving up in hell and carving his first victim up is what broke the first seal.
Alistair: And it is written that the first seal shall be broken when a righteous man sheds blood in hell. As he breaks, so shall it break.
Carrying on, Alistair tells him that for the rest of the seals to be broken, the first had to be broken. So, basically, Dean started the apocalypse, guys. But don’t hate. I’d like to see you survive 30 years of torture.
But oh my god. While Dean goes back to pick up the ginsu, Alistair notices the broken trap caused by the droplets of water from the pipe, which magically turned on somehow earlier in the episode. So when Dean turns around, yup. Alistair’s there. And he beats the crap out of Dean. My heart is breaking…

Who better to come save the day than Castiel? I say save the day… but Alistair hangs his vessel up on a piece of metal that’s sticking out. Bastard! What else does he do? Send Castiel back to heaven! Or try to. But he’s stopped by Sam who know seems to have demon telekinetic power. Not only this, he begins to interrogate Alistair while strangling him. WITH HIS MIND. What now?! Oh dear, Sammy… You’re in trouble.

But guess what Alistair says? “Lilith is not behind this.” Castiel, standing at the side looks horrified by this information and by what Sam can do. And to make matters worse?
Alistair: Go ahead. Send me back. If you can.
Sam: I’m stronger than that now. Now, I can kill.
Hell, no! Umm… Hell yea. I thought he won’t manage it. But he does. Cas? Yeah, not so happy about it.
Now, Dean’s in hospital with a concerned bro beside him and Cas appears at the door, motioning for Sam to talk to him.
Castiel: Sam…
Sam: Get in there and heal him. Miracle. Now!
Castiel: I can’t.
Sam: You and Uriel put him in there –
Castiel: No.
Sam: - because you can’t keep a simple devil’s trap together.
Castiel: I don’t know what happened. That trap… it shouldn’t have broken. I am sorry.
Sam: This whole thing was pointless, you understand that? The demons aren’t doing it. Something else is killing your soldiers.
Castiel: Perhaps Alistair was lying.
Sam: No. He wasn’t.

So Castiel appears in a play ground beside a distraught Uriel, who is upset because he says that after seeking revelation, their superiors have told him to stop hunting the demon despite the fact that angels are dying. Castiel explains to him what Sam said about it not being the demons. Furthermore, he tells Uriel what he thinks about it not being their Father who is giving the orders.

Later, we find him looking for Anna and when she appears, he says that he is considering disobedience and that for the first time, he feels. I LOVE ME SOME REBELLIOUS CAS. Seriously. Telling him that she’s not good enough for Cas, he asks for her guidance, only to be told that he should start thinking for himself. By the way, look. They're trenchcoat buddies.
Back at the torture room, Castiel examines everything, discovering the turned on pipe.
Uriel: You called? What do you say, Castiel? Will you join me? Fight with me.
Castiel: Strange. Strange how a leaky pipe can undo the work of angels when we ourselves are supposed to be the agents of fate.
Uriel: Alistair was much more powerful than we ever imagined.
Castiel: No. No demon can over power that trap. I made it myself. We’ve been friends for a long time, Uriel. Fought by each other’s side. Served together away from home for what seems like forever. We’re brothers, Uriel. Maybe you’ve enough respect to tell me the truth.
Uriel: The truth is, the only thing that can kill an angel [and angel blade slips from his sleeves] is another angel.
So yeah, you guessed it. After a post realization chit chat where Uriel explains to Castiel that he wants him to join him and the others and that he wants to raise Lucifer and bring on the apocalypse, Castiel says no and punches the mofo through a wall. And yeah, they fight. Cas really should fight more… It’s hot. And I just want to put it out there that I swooned, died and went to heaven when he spat blood out his mouth like a bad ass. Despite this, Uriel still had the upper hand. That is, until Anna shoved an angel blade through his neck. See? Anna’s good people.
Back in the hospital with Dean…
Castiel: Are you alright?
Dean: No thanks to you.
Castiel: You need to be more careful.
Dean: You need to learn how to manage a damn devil’s trap.
Castiel: That’s not what I mean. Uriel is dead.
Dean: Is it the demons?
Castiel: It’s disobedience. He was working against us.
Dean: Is it true? Did I break the first seal? Did I start all this?
Castiel: Yes. When we discovered Liliths’ plan for you, we laid siege to hell and we fought our way to get to you before –
Dean: So I started the apocalypse?
Castiel: We were too late.
Dean: Why didn’t you just leave me there, then?
Castiel: It’s not blame that falls on you, Dean. It’s fate. The righteous man who begins it, is the only one who can finish it. You have to stop it.
Dean: Lucifer. The apocalypse? What does that mean? Hey. Don’t you go disappearing on me, you son of a bitch. What does that mean.
Castiel: I don’t know.
Dean: Bull!
Castiel: I don’t. Dean, they don’t tell me much. I know our fate rests with you.
Dean: Then you guys are screwed. I can’t do it, Cas. It’s too big. Alistair was right. I’m not all hero. I’m not stro—I’m not strong enough. But I’m guess I’m not the man either of our Dad’s wanted me to be. Find someone else. It’s not me.

And I leave you with a crying Dean.
Thumpa, out ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment