PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, March 21, 2011

Dark Side of the Moon (5X16)


" Heaven? How did I get to Heaven?"

Dean's soundly asleep in his motel room while two -disguised- hunters hold both him and Sam at gunpoint. Dean wakes up, his hand already under the pillow from snuggling it, but his gun isn't there. 
"Looking for this?"


 Dean almost instantly recognizes the voice from one of the two burglars, identifying him as Roy. And guilty by association, Walt name falls from his lips shortly after. Showing their faces, they tell us why they've come. 


They know all about Sammy letting Satan loose from his cage and has come to kill him, which they do with a shot to the chest. Seeing as how Dean knows who they are and they don't want him hunting their asses, they pop him too. 

WALT: Shoot him.
ROY: Killing Sam was right but Dean…
WALT: He made us and we just snuffed his brother, you idiot. You want to spend the rest of your life knowing Dean Winchester’s on your ass, ‘cause I don’t. Shoot him.
DEAN: Go ahead, Roy, do it. But I’m going warn you, when I come back I’m going to be pissed. C’mon! Let’s get this show on the road. 

Ah, Dean, you so smart! Of course, the angels would bring them back. But straying off the topic here.



With the great Bob Dylan playing on the radio, Dean suddenly wakes up in his car. The night looks so much like our night, but somehow it isn't with this big, odd moon visible behind the treeline. Dean gets out of his car to investigate but only sees the road and a lot of trees, until...little Sammy shows up. That's right, his brother but in miniature form excitedly uges him to follow. They walk out into a field where they light up fireworks and a memory gnaws at Dean. "I remember this! It’s Fourth of July, 1996."

 With a sweet hug and big grins, they just enjoy the moment, which to be honest brought tears to my eyes, while I was smiling like a freaking idiot. All of the sudden, Dean gets a flashback of being shot and when he snaps out of it, little Sammy is gone. He calls out to his brother, but gets no response and so he heads back to the Impala.



And then there's EVP-Cas. Using the radio in Dean's Impala, Castiel contacts him from Earth, telling him that A) he's not in a dream and that he's in Heaven, and B) that he has to follow the road in order to find Sam.
Sounds a bit cliché to me, but hey, that might just be me.


Dean does as instructed, following the yellow-brick road...oh wait, the regular black-paved road with yellow line in the middle. (wrong movie/show) When he pulls up at a house, he heads inside to find Sam at the dinner table with a teenage girl groping him and her parents relentlessly questioning him. What the...
Dean puts it more eloquently though. "Wow, just wow." 

Sam's surprised to see Dean in his dream, but hey it's not a dream. They watch Sam's memory continue, even without Sam still at the table and they discuss the trip down memory lane.


SAM: You know, when you bite the dust they say your life flashes before your eyes.
DEAN: Your point?
SAM: This house, it’s one of my memories.
DEAN: When I woke up, I woke up in one of my memories. The Fourth of July we burned down that field?
SAM: Maybe that’s what heaven is: a place where you relive your greatest hits.
DEAN: Wait, so… playing footsie with brace-face in there? Then that’s a trophy moment for you?
SAM: Dean, I was eleven years old. This was my first real Thanksgiving.
DEAN: What are you talking about? We had Thanksgiving every year.
SAM: We had a bucket of extra-crispy and Dad passed out on the couch. 

The house starts to rumble and a big search light shines into the house every now and then. Dean decides to contact Cas to ask about it, because that shit just can't be normal. Castiel tells them it's Zachariah, who's looking for them. The angels want to return them to their bodies, but not before tempting them into agreeing to become the vessels.

CASTIEL: (on TV) Don’t go into the light.
DEAN: Okay. Thanks, Carol Ann. What was it? 


  Cas says to stay away from the light and to look for an angel called Joshua, who's apparently God's confidant. Sam's actually surprised when Dean says he's going to look for the guy, because God wasn't high on Dean's 'people to like'-list. But Dean does have a valid point about Him being the only one that can help and if Joshua can tell him, then who is he not to listen, right?

SAM: So... What do you think?
DEAN: I think we hit the yellow bricks; find this Joshua cat.
SAM: Really?
DEAN: What? You don’t?
SAM: No, uh. I’m just surprised you do. Last time I checked you wanted to break God’s nose, now you think he can help?
DEAN: He’s the only one who can. I mean, come on, Sam. We are royally boned. So prayer? The last hope of a desperate man.

They head out like two determined, courageous knights until... "Wasn't there a street out here?"
Our boys are lost in Heaven! What are they supposed to do now?
I thought Dean had gone mental for a full two minutes as he looked around -inside of the house- in search of a road. Especially, when he considered a toy race track to be the road, but what do you know...all of the sudden, they find themselves in their old home. In Dean's old bedroom to be exact.

DEAN: Kind of trippy, right?
SAM: Yeah. More trippy. Um. Apparently, you ‘wuv hugs’. 



Dean looks absolutely adorable as he discretely tries to cover up the shirt, while giving Sam one of his famous 'shut the hell up'-looks, which he doesn't hesitate to verbalize either. Cue Mary. The boys' faces already made tears prickle my eyes, because the awe and devotion towards their mother is written plainly on their faces.

Mary can't hear Sam, because they're stuck in Dean's memory and Dean's having a very hard time letting go. Sam finally gets a clearer view on the Winchester family life when they overhear Mary and John having a heated conversation on the phone and Dean consoling their mother.
"I just never realized how long you’ve been cleaning up Dad’s messes."

When Sam finds a postcard, they are suddenly moved to Flagstaff, Texas where Sam had a beautiful Golden Retriever called Bones and lived off Funyuns and Mr. Pibb. To say that Dean's disappointed by the memory is an understatement. He's really hurt. And what's a happy memory for Sam is quite the opposite for him, because he lost his little brother and felt his father's rage because of it. I have to say, I was a little peeved at Sam for not thinking of that, but I could also understand his need to get away, because we all know how lousy his relationship with his dad was back then.



And the painful stuff keeps on coming, because when Dean walks out, they're standing on the very spot where Sam left him and John for Stanford. "This is the night you ditched us for Stanford, isn’t it? This is your idea of heaven? Wow. This was one of the worst nights of my life." 

Poor Dean, right? Yeah, my thoughts exactly. My heart truly broke for him during this scene and when he talks about being a team, Sam and him against the world, I couldn't hold back the tears.



SAM: I don’t know. I mean, I was on my own. I finally got away from Dad.
DEAN: Yeah, he wasn’t the only one you got away from.
SAM: Dean, I’m sorry. I just, uh…
DEAN: I know. You didn’t, you didn’t think of it like that.
SAM: Dean!
DEAN: C’mon! Your heaven is somebody else’s Thanksgiving. Okay. It’s bailing on your family. What do you want me to say?
SAM: Man, I never got the crusts cut off my PB & J. I just don’t look at family the way you do.
DEAN: Yeah, but I’m your family…
SAM: I know…
DEAN: I mean, we’re supposed to be a team. It’s supposed to be you and me against the world, right?
SAM: Dean, it is!
DEAN: Is it?

The little emo-moment, which was definitely emo judging from the buckets I was crying, gets interrupted by a light suddenly shining on them and then they're running. Faster, boys! Faster! Those are freaking angels on your tail!

"Wow. Running from angels. On foot. In heaven. With out-of-the-box thinking like that I’m surprised you boys haven’t stopped the Apocalypse already." 


A guy in one of those Mexican fighter masks helps them escape by drawing some odd-looking symbols on the door to what appears to be a rundown shack, but once inside they find themselves at the...Roadhouse?


And the guy is none other than ASH himself. Dr. Badass, epic as ever, shows them a 'holy-rolling police scanner' he made that allows him to listen in on the angels, and admits to being fluent in Enochian. Damn, the guy's a freaking genius! At least that doesn't change in Heaven, huh. 


ASH: Buenos dias, bitches.
DEAN: Ash?
ASH: Welcome to my blue heaven.

I laughed my ass off when Ash did his beercan-trick and Dean just looked at his own as if it was the world's biggest puzzle. Ash tells 'em all about Heaven and it's infrastrucure. He even tells them a little about famous people's private slices of Heaven. 

ASH: I rigged up my very own holy-rolling police scanner...That’s angels. Blabbing Enochian, okay? I’m fluent. I heard that you were up. Of course I had to come find you. Again.
DEAN: Again?
ASH: This ain’t the first time here. I mean, you boys die more than anyone I’ve ever met.
DEAN: Really.
ASH: Ah, yeah… you don’t remember. God! Angels. Must’ve Windexed your brain. 



A short reunion with Pamela, who seems to have become Heaven's PR spokesperson, a little bit of tongue-action and they are back on their way to the Garden. But something must have gone wrong, because they end up in a livingroom where Zach's waiting for them. But not before playing some mind games with Dean in the form of a taunting mother. Zachariah appears and tells them all about how petty he really is, and all the things he plans to do to them should make them tremble with fear. Ha, fat chance!

Joshua appears then, saving them from Zachariah's greedy and angry claws and prevents him from taking anything out of their asses. And finally, they have made it to the Garden.


The conversation with Joshua isn't anything like what they imagined. He already knows everything they want to tell God, along with all the questions, but can't offer them any good news in return.
"Back off." 

The message from God angers Dean and he has every right too, but it only gets worse when Joshua says how God doesn't think of it as his problem. What the fuck? God created Earth, humanity and everything else, but would throw us to the wolves? Unbelievable!!

Dean's crushed, having put faith in yet another lacking father. Joshua tries to emphasize God's good deeds, bringing certainty about the resurrection of Castiel and the relocation of the boys at Lucifer's rising, but it's not enough. And how could it be?

Joshua claims to be their very own little cheerleader, well perhaps not in those words, but he is rooting for the Winchesters, hoping they can put a stop to the madness. But he's just a gardener and doesn't have anything else he can offer them. And then he sends them home.

JOSHUA: I know how important this was to you, Dean. I’m sorry.
DEAN: Forget it. Just another dead-beat dad with a bunch of excuses, right. I’m used to that. I’ll muddle through.
JOSHUA: Except… you don’t know if you can, this time. You can’t kill the Devil, and you’re losing faith, in yourself, your brother, and now this?
JOSHUA: God was your last hope. I just… I wish I could tell you something different.
SAM: How do we know you’re telling the truth.
JOSHUA: You think that I would lie?
SAM: It’s just that… you’re not exactly the first angel we’ve met
JOSHUA: I’m rooting for you boys! I wish I could do more to help you, I do! But, I just trim the hedges. 



The ending depressed me to no ends. Not even Castiel's swearing made me tingle like it usually does, because of the defeated looks on both Dean's as Castiel's face.
"You son of a bitch. I believed in..."



My two favorite guys were crushed during this episode and for that alone, I think I might hate this one a little bit. No matter the awesomeness that came before. 
No, just kidding. I could never hate a Supernatural-episode. But to be honest, this one here always affects me the strongest. And I both love and hate Kripke for it. I just want to go hug Castiel and Dean now.
And in truth, I need one too.



Here's one of the best scenes from this episode. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.



Well, that's it for me. See y'all tomorrow.

Shirley Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment